Dog Control Policy and Bylaw
Council is reviewing its Dog Control Policy and Bylaw and, we want to hear from you.
Make a submission The aim of the Policy and Bylaw is to strike a balance between the wishes of dog owners, the welfare needs of dogs and the wider public, and to determine such things as which public places dogs should be allowed to run free or be on a leash and areas where dogs are not allowed.
We'd like feedback on a list of proposed changes but submissions on any aspect of the Policy and Bylaw are also welcome.
Proposed changes to the types of access available to dog owners include:
- Grazed reserves — on-leash at all times on grazed land owned by Council, excluding the grazed area at Paremata Flats Reserve.
- Monaco Reserve — off-leash (excluding the playground, where dogs will continue to be prohibited).
- Titoki Reserve — on-leash.
- Whakatū Drive Foreshore Reserve — on-leash.
- Paremata Flats Reserve and Delaware Estuary — change to dogs prohibited on the Paremata Flats planted area and the Delaware Estuary margins and islands.
- Boulder Bank — on-leash at all times. This is in addition to dogs continuing to be prohibited from the Cut towards Boulder Bank Drive for 4 kilometres, from October to February each year.
These areas are shown in the maps available below. Other proposed changes include:
- Multiple dogs —remove the ‘Number of Dogs’ section of the Dog Control Policy and instead rely on Council's authority to reduce the number of dogs on premises where they have become a nuisance or may cause injury.
- Good Dog Owner Policy — remove the Good Dog Owner Policy.
- Enforcement approach — amend the enforcement provisions to align with current practice.
How to provide feedback
The easiest way to provide feedback is to use our online submission tool. Submissions close 4pm 28 February 2020.
Written submissions can be dropped off to Civic House, 110 Trafalgar Street, Nelson. Submissions must be received by 4pm 28 February 2020 so please ensure to allow for delivery if submitting by mail.
Council is holding a hearing on 24 March 2020, for those who wish to speak to their submission. Please indicate if you wish to speak on your submission.
- Summary of Statement of Proposal (210KB PDF)
- Statement of Proposal (306KB PDF)
- Dog Control Policy (323KB PDF)
- Dog Control Bylaw Review updated 10 Dec 2019 (279KB PDF)
- Bylaw 221 Control of Dogs (adopted 19 February 2013)
- Maps of the proposed changes (26MB PDF)
Paper copies of these documents are available at Council’s Customer Service Centre and at Nelson Libraries.